Thursday, February 25, 2010

B is for BLAH.


There is nothing inviting about the word BLOG. Defined as a contraction of the term 'web-log' I have never been interested in participating in or reading any one's BLOG. I mean, the term itself kind of reminds me of the weather my husband used to describe while serving his mission in Scotland: wet, cold and depressing. In other words BLAH. So really, when blogging first became popular and I was constantly receiving invitations from friends to read their blog, I honestly saw no point. Months after these invitations poured in, I became curious and started reading these online journals I was invited to read in the middle of the night after the kids went to sleep. I found myself not only engulfed in the lives of others after hours, but I basically was losing sleep while reading countless blogs that had nothing to do with anything that I was even remotely interested in knowing. These blogs were basically one big brag fest for anyone who could get their hands on a computer: cars, clothes, money, everything materialistic you could get your hands on in an "..look what I have and you don't.." attitude was shared on these blogs and I was reading nothing about life, family, fun, special interests or anything that wanted me to get to know these people or a particular subject on a personal level. What a disappointment.
Fast forward several months when I received an invitation from my sister to read my cousin's blog titled The Future is Brown. I'm sorry, but the title alone cracked me up. I stayed up late one evening for HOURS reading this blog, laughing at all the posts about him trying to find entertainment for his cousins wedding, political posts during the Presidential Election, his family, his friends, his special interests, photos of random people while on public transportation and special articles of world issues that I knew nothing about. This blog had me wanting more..so much that I kind of stalked it for hours, hitting 'refresh' on the computer hoping not to have missed a thing. It was then that I started shopping for other blogs dedicated to areas such as commerce, politics (something I'm not well versed in..), fashion, food, fitness, family and found that people are blogging about EVERYTHING these days. The "blog" has since become my new found friend...so much that I felt inspired to start one of my own.

Will anyone read it? I don't know..but if someone does, will there be anything worth staying up all night to read?

Man..I hope so.

3 comments:

  1. I am SO PROUD of YOU Lani girl!! You did it!!.. Now we can read all your 'Blah~Blah~Blah' and go 'Maaaan, if she can do it, I can!!' I love love love you little sister!!! Ps. Sorry to put so much pressure on u... that's just how I do...hahahahha.. Ofaz..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lia...all I can say is THANK YOU! LOVE YOU, TOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally BLOG stalk people:-P And you are my new obsession LOL. Love you girl and get some pictures of your beuatiful family up here!!!!

    ReplyDelete